Wednesday, July 7, 2021

 Stewardship 

   In Benedictine Abbeys there is a position known as the Monastery Cellarer, or steward.  This monk is charged with the administration of the belongings of the monastery.  He is expected to treat the properties of the monastery, right down to a simple spoon or fork in the kitchen, as if they were the sacred vessels of the altar.

   As one who is aspiring to become a Benedictine Oblate, I am to emulate, as best as possible, the ways of the Abbey in my personal life.  When reading about the cellular and his responsibilities I began to apply these qualities to life in my home and in the secular world.  I am to treat those gifts God has blessed me with as if they are the sacred vessels of the altar.

   This means that I must care for my finances, my home, my belongings, my car, everything I have with great respect.  If I allow them to deteriorate or ignore their proper care, I am not the steward of God’s gifts that I should be.

   Not only must I care for properties and material things, but I must also care for others.  If married I must treat my spouse with respect, love, and devotion.  I must be a loving parent to my children.  I must treat my friends with the love they deserve.  I must see everyone as they are, children of God and treat them as such.

   I believe this also applies to all of God’s creation.  If I cause waste, misuse, or damage to it, I am failing as a steward.  I must look for ways to protect this earth and all within it.  If that means using less, so be it; if it means trying to conserve rather than exploit the blessings of God’s universe, I must do that as well.  In other words, I must look at all I have and all that is in the world as the gifts from God that they are.

   God has blessed me in so many ways.  Now it is up to me to be thankful for all He has given me.  I must be a good steward. 

All that exists is by Your will.

All I have is from Your love.

Help me to honor You.

To properly care for all You have given me. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment