Saturday, July 10, 2021

 Just in the Eyes of God 

   “For it is not those who hear the law who are just in the site of God; rather, those who observe the law will be justified.” (Roman 2: 13) 

   If I go to Mass every Sunday but don’t put the truths I hear into practice, I am not just in the eyes of God.  If I listen closely and understand the words and their meaning, but don’t put it into action, I am not deserving of His justification.

   I can read and understand how to prepare a certain recipe, but if I never actually cook it, its’ very unlikely that I will become a good cook.  The same applies in my spiritual life.  If I read that I am to love God and neighbor, but don’t put those words into action, I’ve gained nothing spiritually.  Knowledge does not bring justification in God’s eyes, living according that knowledge is necessary if I am to be just.

   Justification, I believe, is a process not an event.  In baptism I was justified, original sin as well as all personal sins were washed away.  But that was not the end of my journey.  As I grow in knowledge of the faith I must also grow in my practice of the faith.  If not, my actions are not what God is asking of me.  To be just in God’s eyes I must live my faith.

   I can never fully live according to God’s will; I am human and have all the failings and weaknesses of all humans.  But if I don’t try my best to do so, I am failing my Lord and I don’t deserve justification. 

Lord, You are just in all things.

You see into my heart and know my will.

May I always seek to please You.

May I find justification in You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment