Saturday, June 3, 2023

 How Shall We Answer? 

   “But to you who hear I say, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.” (Luke 6: 27 – 28)

   The Los Angeles Dodgers have decided to honor the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence for their “charitable contributions” to the community during “pride night” at the ballpark.  The "Sisters", who are actually gay men, are a pro LGBT+ group with a history of defaming and condemning the Catholic faith and Christianity as a whole.  I wonder if the Dodgers would offer the same honor to a Ku Klux Klan group who makes donations to the poor while spewing racial hatred for anyone who isn’t white?.

   Who decides which outrageous and contemptuous group gets honored and which does not?  The management of the L.A. Dodgers?  How is that decision to be made; by political correctness or by honesty and integrity?  More importantly, how are we, as Christians to respond to such an outrageous affront to our faith as Catholics and Christians?

   I must admit that it is very hard for me to look at those like the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence and to love and pray for them.  And yet that is what our Lord has said I must do.  I have no right to vilify and condemn even those who hate and condemn me; there is room only for love and prayers for them.

   The evil of this world will pass away and those who have brought evil upon the world will be held accountable.  However, it is God, not me, who is to hold them accountable.  Instead, I am to pray for their immortal souls, that they may come to accept the truth, love, and mercy of God in their lives.  To do otherwise, to allow anger and hatred toward them to fester within me, is to reject the teachings of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment