Sunday, June 25, 2023

 Why Are You Here? 

   While at Mass this morning a question came to my mind; “Why are you here?”  I’ve never been one who “hears” the Lord speaking to me and yet that was what this seemed to be.  It was as if Jesus was urging me to remind myself why I should be at Mass.  I needed to answer Him.

   I’m not there for the music, although that is a plus.  I’m not even there for the priest even though without Him there would be no Mass.  I’m certainly not there to chat with friends and catch up on the events of the week; that is better left to before or after Mass.

   I’m also not there because the Church tells me that I have a moral obligation to be there.  While that is very true, if that’s the only reason I’m there I am missing the point.  I must want to be there; I must need to be there.

   So why am I there?  The simplest answer is I am there to worship God.   I am there to hear the scripture readings and to allow them to edify and enlighten me in the word of God; to take them into my heart and soul.  I’m there to hear the homily the priest has prepared.  Most always there is something said that touches my heart and brings me closer to God.

   Most of all I am there to receive my Lord, Jesus Christ; in the word that is read, the homily that is given, but most of all in the Holy Eucharist, the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ.  Jesus said, “I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world.” (John 6: 51).  In the Eucharist I get the Bread of Life, the glorified body and blood of my Lord, Jesus Christ.  Above all else that is why I am there.

No comments:

Post a Comment