Friday, June 23, 2023

 Stormy Days 

   I enjoy rainy, stormy days.  Maybe it’s a hereditary thing; my grandmother also loved these days.  Today is a day she would have enjoyed.

   The lightning streaking across the sky reminds me of the majesty of God who can call forth the lightning and thunder at will.

   The rain reminds me of His love in giving us the water without which we could not survive.  As scripture reminds us, His love is for all, not only those who believe, “for he makes his sun rise on the bad and the good, and causes the rain to fall on the just and the unjust.” (Matt 5: 45).

   The wind cleans the air and refreshes the atmosphere.  It moves the clouds along their path, spreading the goodness of the rain.  The air smells so clean, so good, after a heavy rain, just as it was created to be.

   Most of all storms remind me of the majesty and power of God.  The world, and all creation is in His hands.  When Jesus calmed the storm at sea the apostles were amazed and said, “What sort of man is this, whom even the winds and the seas obey?” (Matt 8: 27)

   Finally, I love stormy days because they help me appreciate the incredible beauty of the clear days.  They remind me that the storms of this life will pass, and the beauty of God’s kingdom will prevail for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment