Thursday, June 15, 2023

 The Right Road 

   “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14: 6) 

   If I want to take a trip there are many routes I can take.  The interstate highways may get me there quicker, but the back roads will be more scenic and less stressful.  Sometimes I do a little of both, seeing some sites along the way, but shortening the trip a bit as well.

   That works quite well for a vacation or business trip but doesn’t work at all for the most important journey of my life; the one from this mortal life to eternal life.  There is only one road that will take me to God and that road runs through Jesus.  There are no superhighways or detours, only the path Jesus sets before me.

   I’m like most others, I often look for the easiest path in many things.  But the easiest road isn’t always the right one.  Some roads, especially the ones that seem the easiest, are the roads that lead to hell.  They may appear attractive, but they will steal my very soul if I follow them.

   Our Lord warned us of taking the easy path, “Enter by the narrow gate, since the road that leads to perdition is wide and spacious, and many take it; but it is a narrow gate and a hard road that leads to life, and only a few find it.” (Matt 7: 13 – 14)

   The road to hell is easy and wide, full of false hopes and empty promises.  Sadly, many choose to travel that road.  The path to heaven will have some crosses to bear, but there will also be many joys and pleasures along the way.  Most importantly, it is the only path that leads to the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment