Sunday, June 18, 2023

 The Light of the World 

“Jesus spoke to them saying, ‘I am the light of the world.  Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’” (John 8: 12) 

Light is important in life.  I lived in northern Germany for about 18 months many years ago.  Far enough north that the light of day only lasted about six hours in the winter.  The long hours of darkness can at times seem overwhelming. 

Life is no different, there are times of light and times of darkness; good days and bad days.  Light is usually seen as good while darkness brings thoughts of evil and fear.  I know of no one who prefers walking alone on an unlit road in the dark of night.  But a walk along the same road during the day can be quite pleasant and sought out as a way to enjoy the day.

Jesus said that He is the light of the world, it is only through Him that I can find my way to God’s kingdom.  Satan brings the darkness of evil temptations and urgings, striving to separate me from the light.  His only purpose is to snuff out the light of God in my life.

But Satan can’t extinguish the light within me, only I can do that.  Through self-will and pride, I can dim or even turn out the light of Christ in my soul and in my heart.  I pray for the grace to always keep that light burning brightly.

St John wrote, “And this is the verdict, that the light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light, because their works were evil.” (John 3: 19).  The choice is always before me, light or darkness, heaven or hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment