Wednesday, June 7, 2023

 The Lord’s Presence 

   “Where could I go to escape your spirit?  Where could I flee from your presence?” (Psalm 139: 7) 

   As a child I quickly learned that it was best to be out of sight of my parents if I wanted to do something I was not supposed to do.  What they didn’t know wouldn’t hurt them and, more importantly, wouldn’t hurt me by the punishment I deserved.

   I might be able to hide my sins from others, but I can never hide them from God.  No matter where I go He is there, no matter what I do, He knows even before I do it.  This can seem a bit scary, but it is really a blessing.  It is much easier to turn from Satan and his evil temptations when I keep in mind that God knows all that I do.

   If there were one wish that I could wish for everyone, it would be that they know this truth; God knows and sees all.  Whatever sins we commit are known to Him.  Even those wrongs we don’t do but, in our heart, desire to do, are known to Him.  Sin begins in the heart even before we act on the desire.  Perhaps in the light of that truth people will turn to God and reconsider their desires as well as their actions.

   Though I want to follow His will in all things I know that I don’t always live up to that desire; I fail at times.  Therefore, I ask, “God, examine me and know my heart, probe me and know my thoughts; make sure I do not follow pernicious ways, and guide me in the way that is everlasting.” (Psalm 139: 23 – 24).  Amen Lord, lead me on the path that leads to you and your heavenly kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment