Thursday, June 1, 2023

 The Mysteries of Faith 

   “Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen.”  (Heb 11: 1) 

   One thing I’ve found is that faith doesn’t need proof.  Instead, it is a gift of grace from God that must simply be accepted.  The mysteries of faith cannot be proven no matter how much I study and read.

   I’ve studied, I’ve read, I’ve prayed for guidance and understanding.  In some things I find better insight in my studies, in many I do not.  I have learned to accept that His ways are often beyond my understanding and it’s best to accept rather than question.  “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, my thoughts higher than your thoughts.” Isaiah 55: 9).

   When I start questioning God, almost insisting that He tell me His reasons and purposes I am reminded of Job and all the evil that he knew.  He also began to question God and was soundly rebuked, “Where were you when I founded the earth?  Tell me, if you have understanding.” (Job 38: 4).

   I recently read a book written by a priest who had been held in Soviet prison camps for over 15 years during and after World War II.  In all the pains and difficulties of his imprisonment he came to realize that each day and all that it may bring was the will of God.  It wasn’t necessary to know why, but rather to accept and continue to live to serve His will.

   Each time I find myself asking for explanations and reasons I hear His voice in the back of my mind, “Be still and know that I am God!” (Psalm 46: 11).  Amen!  May I not question, may I simply accept His will in my life and strive to follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment