Saturday, May 30, 2020


Faith, an Encounter With God

   “Faith is born of an encounter with the living God who calls us and reveals his love, a love which precedes us and upon which we can lean for security and for building our lives.” (Pope Francis, “Lumen Fidei”)

   I’ve found that there are things that I desire in my spiritual life but are beyond my ability.  I can seek these things, but they are not something I can earn or ever deserve.  They are gifts of God.

   Faith is something I greatly desire.  I try my best to have a growing faith, placing all trust in the Lord.  But the truth is faith is not something I can accomplish on my own.  God must grant me the grace to have increased faith.  He wants me to have this gift and willingly gives it when I sincerely seek it.  I believe He is pleased when I ask for ever greater faith.  The more I desire it the deeper my faith becomes.  Not of myself but from the love and grace of God.

The more I realize my own limitations in my spiritual life the more I turn to God, relying on His grace to increase the spirit in me.  The more I look to Him and seek His help, the more I realize how undeserving I am.  The more I recognize my unworthiness, the more I give thanks for His love of me.

   I can’t be perfect in faith or in anything else for that matter.  But God knows that and wishes to help me.  He sees my weaknesses and failures but loves me anyway.  He knows how much I desire to follow His will and strengthens me.

   Thanks to Him my faith continues to grow and deepen.  Out of His great love for me He forgives my sins.  In His mercy He will lead me on the right path.

Lord, increase my faith.
Let me turn to You in all things.
Strengthen me in my struggles.
Lead me to Your Holy presence.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment