Friday, May 29, 2020

Questioning the Creator

   There are times when I struggle with what God has in store for me.  Not because I’m afraid or don’t want to follow His will but because I simply don’t know what His plan is.  I wish He would just tell me, but I get no firm answer when I ask.

   Instead of knowing with certainty what will come, I’ve found that I must simply trust that all God does is for the good whether I know it or not.  It’s not up to me to question Him.  His ways are so far beyond my ways and His will is what will lead me to heaven.

   I find the lessons of the book of Job helpful when I am tempted to question God and His plans.  Job had been greatly blessed by God with a family, land, and livestock.  His life was one of success in the world.  Then he lost it all and ended up covered with sores, sitting in a pile of ashes; his sons and daughters killed in a freak accident, his livestock stolen.  Even his wife urged him to curse God.  Yet Job refused.

   Job never cursed God, but he accused Him of being unfair to one who had served Him well, questioning why he should suffer all that had happened.  Questioning His purpose and plan.

   God’s reply to Job is what comes to mind when I begin to question why God won’t tell me plainly what His plans are for me, “Where were you when I founded the earth?” (Job 38: 4).  He went on to question Job concerning all God had done in creating the world; all without the help of Job.  Afterwards Job replied, “By hearsay I had heard of you, but now my eye has seen you.  Therefore I disown what I have said, and repent in dust and ashes.” (Job 42: 5 – 6).  Upon his repentance God blessed Job in his old age even more than in his youth.

   It is not for me to question the Creator.  I have no right to demand to know His plans for me.  I must trust in His love and mercy, knowing that regardless the plans He may have, they are the path to Him.  It is not mine to wonder, but to follow.

Forgive my questioning Lord.
You are the Creator of all things.
May I look to You in trust and faith.
Confident in Your will for me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment