Tuesday, May 19, 2020


The Greatest Journey of All

   I must give credit to my wife, Karen, for setting me on this journey to God.  It was because of her faith and devotion that I chose to enter the Catholic Church.  Without her influence I don’t know if I would have ever found the path I’m now on.

   Along the way I’ve learned a lot about my faith.  For years I studied my faith, reading the teachings of the early fathers of the Church and great saints, taking bible studies and university theology courses to learn the history and truth of why I believe what I believe.  I have gained a lot of intellectual knowledge of my faith but the intellectual learning is not the heart of my faith.

   Love of God and others is the heart of the faith.  It doesn’t really matter if I know all the history of the Church or can quote the bible verse by verse, without love all is worthless.  I have also learned that what our culture calls love most often is not Godly love but love of false gods.

   Love is not sex, not money, not fame, not bigger and better things.  Love is a total giving of one to the other, even if the other doesn’t deserve it.  It’s understanding that there are things about your friends, your family and even your spouse that you don’t really like very much, but loving them anyway.  Like is not love.  Liking something or someone is a personal choice.  Godly love is not a choice but a gift from God.  If it were of man it would not last, only with God is love never-ending.  Love is the answer to my journey to God.  Without it, He isn’t with me; with it, He is with me for eternity.

   My journey isn’t over, but there’s certainly far less remaining than has gone before.  I thank Karen for bringing me to the Church and showing me this beautiful path of love.  I think God for Karen and the incredible, eternal love He has given us to share.  The journey continues.

Father, I’m traveling home.
Lead me on the right path.
Show me the way to You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment