Friday, May 22, 2020

Standing Face to Face with Jesus

   “Then Peter remembered the word that Jesus had said to him, ‘Before the cock crows twice you will deny me three times.’  He broke down and wept.”  (Mark 14: 72)

   Peter denied our Lord three times, even swearing that he never knew Him.  After the third denial, remembering Jesus’ words to him, he went out and wept.  And yet Jesus built His Church upon Peter, entrusting Him with the keys to the kingdom.

   There was another who betrayed Jesus and ended very differently.  Peter wept and sorrowed and sought forgiveness; Judas refused to seek forgiveness, hanging himself instead.  Peter received the keys to the kingdom, Judas brought condemnation upon himself.

   I wonder if I’ll be able to look into the eyes of Jesus when it is my time to stand before Him.  Knowing the sins I’ve committed and the times I’ve failed to follow God’s will I feel that I will break down in tears and fall to my knees in sorrow and disgrace.  I am deserving of nothing but His condemnation.

   Standing before Jesus, I believe I will become conscious of every sin I’ve ever committed and sorrow greatly.  I believe I will fall to my knees in shame for the times I’ve failed.  But I also believe in the promises of Christ; my sins will be forgiven.  He has washed me clean in His blood.   He said, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be.”  (John 14: 3)

Lord, I am a sinful man.
Though I try, I continue to fail.
Only in Your mercy and love is there hope.
Cleanse me and take me to Yourself.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment