Friday, May 8, 2020


Solitary Confinement

   Since Florida initiated a “stay at home” policy I have experienced what is essentially solitary confinement.  To do my part in keeping the COVID-19 virus from spreading I’ve remained virtually home-bound.  Shopping became a once a week excursion done very early in the morning to avoid crowds.  If something ran out I did without until the next shopping trip.

   Except for a few telephone calls from my family and friends I’ve had no interaction with others.  At first I was concerned that constantly being alone would be extremely difficult, and at times it has been.  But I’ve learned a lot through this experience as well.

   My time has been devoted mostly to reading, studying scripture and prayer.  I found a source to stream daily and Sunday Mass and continued to attend each day.  While I missed physically participating in Mass and receiving Holy Communion, it was comforting and helped me through this time.  Also, if I’m being honest I must admit that there were days when I watched too much television, which is almost always a waste of time.

   What I’ve learned is that the solitary life can be beneficial to the spiritual life.  It can be a hardship, but hardship is to be an expected part of Christianity.  How I deal with those hardships is what really matters.  I can allow them to lead me into despair and sorrow or I can be led to my God.  In all times, good and bad, God is there to comfort and strengthen.  I’ve come to understand and believe that there is no hardship that cannot be overcome by relying on His strength and mercy.

   I am sincerely looking forward to an end of my solitary confinement.  To return to Mass and receive the Blessed Sacrament will be a tremendous blessing.  Being able to visit with family and friends will be such a joy.  Fellowship and company is important and I’ve missed it terribly.  However, I am also thankful for the opportunity to deepen my relationship with the Lord given me during this time of isolation.

Father we need the community of others.
But we need solidarity with You far more.
Give us the joy of family and friends.
Give us the joy of fellowship with You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment