Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Greatest Teacher

   When I look back over my life I find that the teachers, instructors, and mentors I most treasure are those who pushed me, those who took me out of my comfort zone.  It wasn’t the ones who said “good enough”, but those who said “you can do better”.  Those who made me go the extra mile, even when it was difficult or even painful, are the ones I truly appreciate.

   There is no greater teacher, mentor, or coach than God.  He will never accept minimal effort from us.  He desires our total commitment to His plan.  He wants us to be the best we can be and that may sometimes be painful.  God chastises us in our weaknesses and gives us the strength to overcome them.

   We suffer at times to improve ourselves in this world.  We study long and hard for that important test.  We work long hours to get that promotion at work.  We push our bodies to improve our health and physical abilities.  The salvation of our soul is the greatest self-improvement program of all.  Should we not expect some difficulty and suffering along the way?

   It’s easy to praise God when everything is going well.  Thanksgivings for His many blessings come effortlessly.  But what of those times when things are not well.  Do still give Him thanks when we are ill or facing our worst fears?  Do we continue to love and thank Him in times of trial and misery, offering our suffering to Him?  Our sorrows as well as our joys are necessary in our journey to God.  Trust in Him and He will lead us home.

Lord, I am sometimes lazy.
I don’t always give my best.
May I give all to You.
Loving You in both joy and suffering.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment