Monday, July 27, 2020

Conversion Is A Process

   “We often think of a conversion as a single decision or event, when the reality is that we are called to continuous conversion.” (Matthew Kelly, “I Heard God Laugh”)

   My conversion began shortly after my marriage.  Previously I had no relationship with God.  I had married a cradle Catholic for whom Sundays and Holy Days meant going to Mass.  As her husband I went with her even though I wasn’t even sure what it meant to be “Catholic”.

   It didn’t take long for me to realize that I needed God in my life.  Seeing my wife practice her faith and experiencing it with her drew me to Him in a way I’d not known before.  I was baptized at the Easter Vigil in 1971 and received my first Holy Communion.  My conversion journey had begun.

   At first we were like many Catholics, we went to Church when we should and received the Sacraments but weren’t actively involved with the many ministries available to us.  Over the years our faith continued to grow and we both benefitted greatly from a deeper, more active relationship with our Lord.  We became involved in several ministries which furthered our conversion journey.  We were blessed with a growing, deepening relationship with God.

   Now my wife is gone but my journey continues and has grown deeper still.  I am confident of her presence in heaven and my greatest desire is to join when my life is over, together to give God all praise and glory for all time.

   I recall a few times when someone from a local church would knock at our door and ask, “Are you saved?”  They seemed to think of salvation as a one-time event.  In my mind the correct answer to their question is, “Yes, I have been saved, I am being saved, and I will be saved.”  Salvation is a lifetime journey that doesn’t end until this life is over.

Father, I am on my journey to You.
It can be long and arduous at times.
Only with Your help can I succeed.
Make my journey a fruitful one.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment