Thursday, July 23, 2020


Why Me Lord?

   “Why me Lord?  What have I ever done to deserve even one of the pleasures I’ve known?  Tell me Lord, what did I ever do that was worth loving you or the kindness you’ve shown?”  (“Why Me Lord”, Kris Kristofferson)

   I’ve often asked the Lord why He loves me.  I’ve done nothing to deserve His love.  In fact I’ve done much to warrant condemnation rather than love and forgiveness.  Why does He still love and forgive me?  Why does He desire that I share eternity with Him?

   When God looks at me does He see Himself within me?  Is that why He loves me and forgives my sins?  Does He recognize me as one of His children, even though I may have gone astray?  Perhaps He continues to love me even in my sinfulness to teach me that His love is eternal and nothing I can do will cause Him to abandon me.

   St. Ambrose wrote, “I will glory not because I am righteous, but because I am redeemed; I will glory not because I am free from sins, but because my sins are forgiven me.”  How can I not try harder to please the God who made me, who loves me, and who calls me His own?

   The final verse of Kris Kristofferson’s song goes like this: “Lord help me Jesus, I’ve wasted it so.  Help me Jesus, I know what I am.  Now that I know that I’ve needed you so, help me Jesus, my soul’s in your hand.”

Lord I place my soul in Your hand. 
Guide me, teach me, make me yours.
Father, I want to love You more.
Fill my heart with love for You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment