Friday, July 24, 2020


The Sower, the Soil, and the Fruit

    The parable of the sower can be found in Matthew’s Gospel, chapter 13.  It talks of a sower who sowed his seed and the results that came from his efforts.  Some seed fell on rock and was immediately eaten by birds.  Some fell on shallow soil; it quickly took root but at the first sign of difficult it withered and died.  Some fell among thorns where it took root but was choked out by the by the thorns of life.  Finally, some fell on good soil and brought forth an abundant harvest.

   The sower is God, the seed is the Word of God, and we are the various types of soil on which it is sown.  Some will pretty much ignore it; some will accept it but only until some difficulty arises.  Others will take it to heart, but it will be overwhelmed by the cares and concerns of the world.  A few will accept it, embrace it, and do all in their power to let the seed grow and produce the intended fruit.

   What kind of soil am I?  There are times when I feel like I fit into all the categories of soil.  There were times in my life when I was ignorant of God and His Word.  At times I’ve let the cares and concerns of the world smother the seed planted in my soul.  My prayer is that I have become good, fertile soil for God, soil that allows His seed to grow and produce good fruit.  But if I am now good soil, it is only by the grace of the Lord.  I am nothing without Him and any good found in me is the gift of God.

   The most I can do is offer myself to Him, seek His will in all things, and pray for His help.  The world tempts me, troubles me, and tries to draw me away from God.  I am certain that I can’t resist such attacks alone.  I can only reject Satan with the help of God.  Only by His grace can I be the good soil and produce the fruit He desires.

You have planted Your word within me.
May Your seed take root.
May I be the good soil.
The soil that produces good fruit.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment