Wednesday, July 1, 2020


Untroubled Hearts

   “Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and take you to myself, that where I am you may also be.”  (John 14: 1 – 3)

   There are many things in this world to trouble my heart.  Christianity is more and more under attack from those who would deny even the existence of God.  After serving in the U.S. Navy for twenty years, I see the country I love seemingly being torn apart by hatred and bias.  Riots and the destruction of private and public properties are not only allowed but even encouraged by those charged with protecting the people and their property.  Our political leaders only increase the discord rather than resolve it.

   There are those who would bring shame and scandal upon the Church and the family of God.  Some would have the Church bow to societal whims rather than standing for the truths of God.  Many seem to have become like the Pharisees, Scribes, and Priests of Jesus’ time.  They are more interested in self aggrandizement and the perks of their position than in serving the Lord.  Those they have vowed to lead are being misled.

   Then I re-read the gospel quoted above and am reminded that this world is only a temporary home.  My true home is the place Jesus has gone to prepare for me.  Christians are exiles in a world damaged and degraded by sin seeking our eternal home with the Lord.  We long to go home to the mansion prepared for us in God’s house.

   “And he who sat upon the throne said, ‘Behold, I make all things new.’”  (Rev 21: 5).  Amen Lord, come!

This world will always be troubled.
It is ravaged by sin.
The world to come brings perfection.
It is there that I place my hope.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment