Wednesday, July 22, 2020


The First Evangelist

   “But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father, to my God and your God.’  Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, ‘I have seen the Lord.’  And she told them that he had said these things to her.” (John 20: 17 – 18)

   We all know of the great evangelists, Peter, and Paul and all the apostles of the Lord.  Since Jesus’ time there have been a multitude of those announcing the Good News of our Lord, encouraging the faithful with the hope and promise of His resurrection.

   But before these was Mary Magdalene.  Upon His resurrection Jesus chose to appear to her first.  Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons, was chosen to announce His resurrection before all others.  She was the first evangelist.

   When I consider this event it reminds me that no matter my past sins, if I have turned to Jesus for forgiveness they are as nothing.  Even if I were possessed by demons, Christ would cast them out and perhaps use me for such a mission as He did Mary Magdalene.  She was unworthy, I am unworthy, all of us are unworthy, but through the love and mercy of our Lord He makes us worthy and uses us to further His word.  We cannot do this ourselves; it can only be done by the Lord.

   Jesus selected Mary to be the first to announce His resurrection.  The sinful one who had been possessed by demons, the one who had followed Him in love and thanksgiving, devoting her life to Him was His first spokesperson after He rose from the dead.  It makes one consider what He might have in mind for those who love as she did, who give their lives to Him.  From the lowly He sometimes selects His saints.

Lord, great love is what You desire.
May I love You as Mary Magdalene did.
Increase my desire to serve You.
Take me to You when this life is done.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment