Thursday, July 30, 2020


The Early Hours of the Morning

   “But I, O Lord, cry out to you; in the morning my prayer comes before you.” (Psalm 88; 13)

   I was never a morning person.  If an alarm wasn’t set I didn’t wake up until mid-morning and I despised the alarm.

   These days I’m up between five and five-thirty in the morning.  For a while I tried to resist, thinking it was far too early to get up, wanting to stay in bed a while longer.  I’ve discovered that getting up when I first wake up is a blessing.  I also believe it was Satan urging me back to sleep.

   The morning is now my favorite time of the day.  Early, before dawn, while the world still sleeps is a perfect time for prayer and communion with God.  There are few distractions and little noise to interrupt my thoughts and prayers.  It’s quiet and peaceful as I begin my prayers in my favorite chair.

   Then it's time for a morning walk.  Still dark, the sky is beautifully decorated with the moon and stars.  Even the birds are usually still asleep or just beginning to waken.  I hear their song as they begin their day.  Occasionally I hear owls nearby.

   Most mornings I see the sun beginning to rise, turning the dark to the most beautiful shades of pink and red.  Once again, God’s creation begins a new day.  To be there and witness the glory of the new day beginning is a blessing.

   I feel as if I am where God wants me to be in the early hours.  It is a time of prayer, wonder, and love of God.  His majesty is on full display as His creation comes to life for another day and I am blessed to witness it.

Lord, in the mornings I find You.
In the quiet You are with me.
Fill my heart with love for You.
Lead me always closer to You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment