Friday, July 10, 2020

The Miracle of the Consecration

   A protestant friend once asked why I had chosen to become Catholic.  I told him it was because of the Body and Blood of Christ in the Eucharist.  I believe that, at the Consecration, the veil is drawn back and all of Christianity is present on the altar.  It’s as if time is suspended and all of eternity opens.  When Jesus’ Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity enters the host and wine all the angels and Saints join us in singing praise and bowing before the Lord.

   I’ve always believed that and experienced it in my worship at Mass.  However, I have recently begun serving on the altar during Mass and to be present and assist when this great miracle occurs is a blessing far beyond what I had expected.  As the host is raised I sometimes feel as if I can actually see Christ entering it, making it the Body He offered to His disciples at the last supper.  In the same manner the chalice of wine is transformed into His blood.  They may appear the same outwardly, but their substance has been changed by our Lord.

   Most of my protestant friends don’t understand or believe in this miracle.  I can’t explain it to them, it is not understandable in this physical world.  It is a miracle, something that occurs outside nature, which can never be explained, only believed, and accepted.

   I am blessed and honored to have the chance to serve our Lord at His Holy Altar.  It is a grace from God to be present and assist in the incredible miracle of Consecration.  It gives me great joy and peace.

Lord, You have blessed me in many ways.
I am in awe when I serve at Your altar.
To assist in such a miracle is a gift.
May I always serve You in all I do.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment