Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Be Still 

   One of my favorite quotes from the bible is, “Be still, and know that I am God.” (Psalm 46: 10).  I have always seen this as a way of coming to better know my Lord.  Be still, be silent and listen with my heart and soul.  Just as Elijah found that God was in the still small voice (1 Kings 19: 11 – 12), I have found God in the silence and solitude of my prayers.

   But I’ve come to understand that, like many bible verses, this verse has another meaning.  In times of trouble or difficulty I am to be still and know that He is God.  Being still in this case doesn’t necessary mean quiet, it implies a stillness of heart, a calm within even in times of trouble, trusting that God is in control.

   When my wife passed away I was quite confused for a while.  I couldn’t understand why she had been taken from me.  I asked my priest what God wanted of me now that she was gone.  He wisely told me that perhaps all God wanted for the time being was for me to endure and heal.  Essentially I was to be still and trust in God.

   We are all faced with difficulties in life, some may be relatively minor, and others can be devastating.  So many things happen that I don’t understand; things I will never understand in this life.  I have found that trusting in God and His plan brings peace and comfort even in the worst of times.

   For me, the heart of this little verse is simple; trust in God.  A friend says he has an imaginary box labeled “mysteries” in which he places those things beyond his understanding.  I think that is an excellent way to deal with such things.  It’s not necessary that I always understand or know the reason why.  All that is necessary is that I trust in the Lord.

   “How unsearchable are his judgements and how inscrutable his ways!” (Romans 11: 33).  His ways are beyond my understanding so I will be still and know that He is God. 

Your ways are so far above my ways.

I can’t fathom your thoughts and plans.

Give me the faith to simply believe in You.

Give me the peace that comes from trusting You. 

Amen

  

No comments:

Post a Comment