Monday, January 18, 2021

 The Right Thing 

   “My obligation is to do the right thing.  The rest is in God’s hands.” (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.) 

   There are many choices to make each day.  Some are insignificant, others may be much more important.  It’s up to me to choose the right thing, regardless of the importance of the choice.  If I do my best to include God in my decisions I am much more likely to choose to do the right thing, even when it may be difficult. 

   Something as simple as what to have for breakfast would seem to matter very little but if I consistently eat too much or the wrong things for breakfast, or any other meal, I can destroy my health.  By making the right choices I can better care for the incredible gift of health.

   There are times when I’d like to throw something big and heavy at the television because the news is almost always bad.  Instead I can just turn it off, seeking the highlights of the news from other sources.  Anything more than the highlights is usually of no use anyway.

   When driving if someone cuts me off I can decide to yell at them or maybe even give them a vulgar hand signal.  Or I can simply smile and thank God that I was able to avoid an accident.  I know well which choice benefits me and my spiritual life.

   I can select the right things to watch if I watch television, I can choose movies with a good story and maybe even a moral message rather than one filled with violence and sex.  I can be selective in my reading, getting enjoyment as well as spiritual learning and support.  I can choose to go to Mass as often as possible, strengthening my faith.

   Most of all I can pray for God’s guidance in all my choices.  I can do my best to make the right choices and leave the rest in God’s hands. 

Father, You blessed us with free will.

So many times we abuse it.

Help me to seek Your will, not mine.

Help me make the right choices. 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment