Saturday, January 23, 2021

 Thoughts of Heaven 

   “What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him.” (1 Cor 2: 7-8) 

   I look forward to heaven and often wonder what it will be like.  Even though St. Paul tells us that we really can’t know, I still contemplate what it will be.

   I know that it will be perfect, but perfect is a concept that really doesn’t exist in this world.  What we consider perfect is still very flawed when compared to the perfection of God and the heaven He has prepared for us.  So knowing that it will be perfect really doesn’t help me understand the reality.

   I know that it will be pure love, but again there is really no such thing in this life.  Those most in love with their spouses still find fault at times.  We love our children but recognize their imperfections.  Our love is a gift of God, but it is filtered, if you will, by the fallen nature of the world in which we live.

   Jesus told His disciples, “In my father’s house there are many dwelling places.  If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?” (John 14: 2).  The Douay-Rheims version uses the word “mansions” rather than dwelling places.  To me, that seems to fit in more with the concept of heaven.  And yet I recognize that I am not worthy of a mansion.  A simple hovel in heaven is greater that the most magnificent mansion in this world.

   So I will continue to sit and consider what awaits me if I remain true to my Lord.  I don’t know and will never know in this world.  I must simply trust in His word and await the perfection to come. 

In heaven we will know You as You are.

We will know what perfection truly is.

We will love as You love.

We will be as You intended. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment