Friday, January 15, 2021

 The Truth of Jesus 

   “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” (John 8: 31 – 32) 

   As usual the Jews did not understand Jesus’ teaching about the truth making them free.  They argued that they were descendants of Abraham and had never been in bondage.  What they didn’t grasp is that the bondage from which His truth would free them was not slavery to another but slavery to sin.

    With each sin I commit I turn from God.  When I go to Him in sorrow for my sins He, in His mercy, forgives me.  No matter how often I come to Him, that often He will forgive.  The danger lies in not going to Him, in remaining in my sin rather than repenting and trying to avoid further sin.  Habits are formed by repetition; if I repeat my sins over and over without sorrow they will become habit.  Habitual sinfulness leads to slavery to sin and to Satan, the father of all sin.

   “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (John 3: 16).  That is the truth that Jesus teaches, that belief in Him is the way to eternal life.  The truth of Jesus is that He loves me and wants to come and take me to Himself when this life is over.  For that to happen I must trust and believe in His truth, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.” (John 14: 6). 

The world is full of lies.

Truth comes from the Lord.

Open my eyes to see the lies.

Open my heart to know the truth. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment