Saturday, January 2, 2021

 Defining My Worth 

   “Whatever persons are worth in the sight of God, that they are and no more.”  (St. Francis of Assisi) 

   The world judges wrongly, they judge a person’s worth in earthly terms.  How wealthy they are, what they possess, their position and status are the things society uses to judge others.  In fact none of these are an indication of true worth.

   Think of St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta.  She had no money, no possessions, prestige, or status in society but she lived a life of great worth.  She gave all she had in service to the poor, sharing the love of Christ with those in most need.  When she was awarded the Nobel Peace prize she refused the honor banquet, asking that the prize money be used to help the poor.  What great worth she must have in God’s eyes!

   What can I do to be judged worthy in God’s eyes?  Jesus said, “Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.” (Matt 25” 40).  This is the example of St. Mother Teresa; she dedicated her life to serving those who are the least of His brothers.  My life must reflect a caring for those in need as well, love for all of His children.

   I recognize that whatever good I might do comes not from me but from God.  What He asks of me is allow Him to work through me, to love Him and to love my neighbor.  If I can do this with an open heart full of love then perhaps I will hear Jesus say to me, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father.  Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world." (Matt 25: 34). 

The world knows nothing of true worth.

Its’ judgement is distorted by sin and evil.

My worth comes from Your presence within me Lord.

Fill me with love for You and neighbor. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment