Sunday, January 10, 2021

 Servant of the Lord 

   “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.”  (Luke 1: 38) 

  If I am ever unsure of how I am to respond to God I need look no further than the Blessed Virgin Mary.  Her example will guide me and lead me always closer to the Lord.

   Her response to the angel Gabriel tells me the attitude I am to have.  I am to be the servant of the Lord, to live my life according to His word.  Even though she must have known her decision would involve serious consequence she agreed to be the handmaid of the Lord.

   At the wedding at Cana, Mary said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.” (John 2: 5).  She says the same to me, accept His will, do whatever He asks, whatever He tells you.  I am again reminded that Mary's desire is to lead me always closer to her son, our blessed Lord and Savior.

   “When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, ‘Woman, here is your son.’  Then he said to the disciple, ‘Here is your mother.’” (John 19: 26 – 27).  Mary is the spiritual mother of all who are disciples of Jesus, she is my mother in faith.  As my mother she wants only what is best for me, to become holy, to be faithful to her Son as she is faithful to Him in all things.  She wants me, like the servants at Cana, to do whatever he tells me. 

You choose Mary to be Your mother.

In faith You made her my mother as well.

She tells me to do whatever You ask.

Help me to always follow her advice. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment