Monday, January 4, 2021

 Chasing the Wind 

   “I have seen all things that are done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a chase after the wind.”   (Eccl 1: 14) 

   Like most people I have spent much of my life earning a living and preparing myself for retirement.  I sometimes worked too many hours, leaving less time for God, family, and the important things in life.  I perhaps focused too much on the future even though I had no idea if I had a future; life can end in a flash.

   They say wisdom comes with age but that isn’t necessarily true.  I think experience comes with age, but not always wisdom.  Many continue to chase the wind even into retirement, seeking worldly treasures that will soon belong to another.  The parable of the rich fool found in Luke chapter 12 tells of a rich man who wasn’t satisfied with his wealth but always sought more, tearing down what he had to build bigger and better.  When all was done and his rebuilding complete God said to him, “You Fool!  This very night your life will be required of you.  And who then will get to enjoy the fruits of your labors?” (Luke 12: 20).

   My life has seen joys and it has seen sorrow, that is the way of life.  There are joys and happiness in this world, but they are only a faded image of the true joy and happiness that comes from knowing God.  There are pains and sorrows as well, but in God there is rest and comfort.

   There are treasures to be sought, but they are not of this world.  There is joy and happiness to be found, but it is not of this world.  There is peace and rest for those who seek God rather than chasing the wind. 

The joys of this world are fleeting.

True joy comes only from You.

May I seek You in all things.

May I never chase the wind. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment