Thursday, January 14, 2021

 Work, Read, Pray 

   In His rule for monastic life St. Benedict wrote of ore et labora (pray and work).  A monk’s life is to be one of prayer and one of work offered to God in sacrifice.  If he were here today he might add lege (read) as well.  In addition to working and praying there is also a lot of reading in the life of a monk.  Scripture is read at Mass and at each of the Liturgy of the Hours.  Lectio Divina (Divine Reading) is a large part of the Benedictine’s way of life.

   Work can be prayer when offered to God.  Regardless the task, if it is offered to the Lord in love as a sacrifice it becomes a beautiful prayer.  In offering it to God it also becomes less onerous and more fulfilling; it becomes a part of the spiritual life.

   Reading is a large part of my life.  My choice of reading has changed significantly over the years.  I used to read mostly mysteries and still enjoy a good, thought provoking story.  However, I am much more inclined to read those books that teach me more of my God and faith.  The bible, writings of the early Church Fathers and more recent spiritual thinkers have become the primary source of my reading material.

   Prayer is the basis for any spiritual life.  Communal prayer at Mass, quiet prayer with the Lord before the Blessed Sacrament and fellowship with other Christians give me comfort and peace. 

   I find God more intimately in my prayers in the solitude of my quiet place.  In the silence I sit with my Lord, talking as if to a friend.  Sometimes I’m tempted to talk too much, leaving little room for Him to respond and guide me.  Silence in thought, in my heart and my soul allows Him to be even more present within me, guiding me in His ways, giving comfort and strength.

   Work, read and pray.  These have brought me to a much closer relationship with the Lord.  There is no greater goal than becoming nearer to my God. 

Let me come near to You.

In my work, my prayers, and my reading.

Open my heart and soul to Your word.

Bring me always nearer. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment