Monday, January 11, 2021

 Holiness 

   “Holiness does not consist in doing extraordinary things.  It consists in accepting, with a smile, what Jesus sends us.  It consists in accepting and following the will of God.” (St. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, “Do Something Beautiful for God) 

   St. Mother Teresa tells me what holiness is to look like, it is to be acceptance of God’s will in my life.  It is in recognizing that even the trials and tribulations I may experience are a part of God’s plan for me and trusting that all He does is for my good.  It is accepting all, both the good and the bad.  Though I may never understand why things happen in this life, I must trust in His great love even when it is difficult.

   I can’t become holy of our own accord.  I am a fallen creature stained by sin and it is not within me to make myself holy.  Only by submitting my will to the will of the Father can I become holy.  I must ask that the Holy Spirit come upon me and make me holy.  I must willingly accept all that His presence will bring.  Only by the grace of God is that possible.

   Holiness is a matter of trust in God and faith in the promises of Christ.  Holiness did not come to St. Matthew as a tax collector, it came from Jesus’ call to him and his accepting that call.  The same is true of all the apostles.  It was true of the Old Testament prophets and it is true of all the martyrs and saints who have ever lived.

   Being holy takes two, it takes God calling me to holiness and me accepting that call.  It means submitting my will to His in all things.  Only in this commitment and a determined effort to live by it is holiness possible.

 

Lord, only You are holy.

But You want to share Your holiness with me.

I offer You my heart, my soul, and my life.

Make me holy.

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment