Monday, September 20, 2021

 All Scripture is from God 

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” 

   I did not include the scripture reference for the above to illustrate a point.  There are two places in scripture where this statement appears.  The one most most familiar is likely Matthew 27: 46.  Christ spoke these words from the cross just prior to His death.  The chief priests, scribes, and Pharisees were there to witness the crucifixion of our Lord.  They would have been fully aware of the other place this scripture can be found; it is the first verse of Psalm 22.

   This psalm, without doubt, is a prophecy of the crucifixion, death, and resurrection of Jesus.  “All who see me mock at me” (verse 7).  “They stare and gloat over me; they divide my clothes among themselves and for my clothing they cast lots.” (verse 17 – 18).  “Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord, and proclaim his deliverance to a people yet unborn, saying that he has done it.” (verse 30 – 31).

   In his second letter to Timothy, St. Paul wrote, All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.” (2 Timothy 3: 16, emphasis mine).  St. Augustine is credited as saying, “In the Old Testament is the New concealed, the New Testament is the Old revealed.” 

Whether the New Testament or the Old,

All Scripture is from You.

Give us the desire to better know You.

Give us the wisdom to better understand. 

Amen

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment