Saturday, September 11, 2021

Come Away 

   “Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while.” (Mark 6: 31) 

   Jesus said this to His apostles when they had returned from teaching in the villages.  They were tired and needed to refresh themselves.  We need to do the same thing from time to time.

   This world can take its’ toll on us, both physically and spiritually.  Most people take a vacation from work to enjoy themselves and relax a bit from their work-a-day life.  But far too few take a vacation from the world and go to a quiet, secluded place to refresh themselves spiritually.  As much as a vacation from work is needed, a vacation from the woes of this world is even more important; a time to put everything away and be with the Lord.

   This last week from Monday afternoon until Friday morning I lived in a Benedictine Monastery.  While I did not encroach on the lives of the monks, I lived by their hours and their routines;  prayers seven times a day, Holy Mass each day, and plenty of time to sit quietly with the Lord.  It was not a week of fun and sun but a week of blessings and coming closer to God.

   If you do not take time for spiritual retreats, I strongly suggest you prayerfully consider it.  A time away from the craziness of this world is a breath of fresh air; a time to breath in the Holy Spirit and expel the foul stench of this broken world.  I can promise you it will change your life.

 

Lord, I thank You for my time with You.

You have blessed me in so many ways.

Let me live my life in Your will.

Following the path You have set before me.

 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment