Friday, September 3, 2021

 God’s Call 

   “The Scripture says that Abraham was hospitable, and God was with him; it says Elias loved quiet, and God was with him; it says that David was humble, and God was with him.  So do what you find your soul longs after in the quest for God, do that, and always watch over your heart’s integrity.” (Abba Nistero, early Desert Father, “The Book of Mystical Chapters) 

   There is no wrong way to serve God when we seek His will our in life.  Some are called to the Priesthood or Deaconate.  Some to a cloistered religious life in a monastery or convent, devoting their life to prayer and contemplation.  Others serve in many ways as they answer God’s call.  Evangelists, prophets, theologians all serve the Lord, as do teachers and spiritual counselors.  Many offer their time and talents in the Church and serve God in a multitude of ways.

   The call of God often changes throughout our life.  For over forty-eight years I was called to be a husband in a sacramental marriage.  Since the passing of my wife, I hear His call to a life of quiet prayer, solitude, and contemplation.  Just as I know that there were times when I failed to be the husband my wife deserved, I am certain their will times of weakness and failure in answering this call.  Still, I will answer His call and serve as best I can.

   God calls us to His service, and He will guide us if we let Him.  In our successes we will find joy and peace and in our failures we will find the mercy and love of a forgiving Savior.  We must listen for His call and respond as the Blessed Virgin Mary, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.” (Luke 5: 38). 

Lord, You call each of us by name.

Open our hearts to hear You.

May we serve You in this life.

May we walk with You in eternal life. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment