Thursday, September 16, 2021

 The Weeds of Sin 

   I have often written about the similarities between properly caring for plants in a garden or lawn and proper care of my soul.  Both can be difficult even at the best of times, but nearly impossible if left unattended.

   I suppose this comes to mind so often because I really do not like caring for the lawn and plants.  Weeding and such seems to me a penance and one that has to be repeated over and over with little hope of ever completely overcoming the problem.

   Sinfulness is very much the same.  Sins too can be difficult to control and remove from our soul.  And like the weeds, the longer they are left to grow the harder they become to remove.  I fear that at some point they will become unnoticed, growing into more and more serious sin.  Failure to get the weeds out of the garden can destroy the garden, but failure to confess my sins, seeking forgiveness, can destroy my soul.

   I suppose I will go on pulling weeds, trying to control them and keep them to a minimum.  I know it is an ongoing battle that can never truly be won but the only alternative I can think of would be to simply concrete my hold yard and paint it green; not really a viable option.

   More importantly I will continue to pull the weeds of sin from my soul by frequent and sincere confession.  The only alternative is to destroy my relationship with God, condemning myself to hell; not really an option I wish to consider. 

Father You are love and forgiveness.

Jesus, You died to bring redemption to all.

Holy Spirit, You strengthen me in the battle.

Holy Trinity, lead me home. 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment