Monday, September 27, 2021

 Worldly Distractions

   We live in a world full of distractions.  Something or someone is always trying to gain our attention.  Unfortunately, most of these distractions are of a worldly nature.  They do nothing to enhance our spiritual life, rather they detract from it. 

   I can be in prayer and suddenly realize my mind has wandered to something far removed from prayer.  In the middle of Mass I sometimes find myself thinking of what I need to do for the rest of the day or even something as mundane as what to have for lunch.  As soon as I become aware of it I pull myself back to where I need to be, but the distractions are frustrating; they take me from where I want to be.

   I believe we each have an angel who watches over us, sometimes more than one.  They are there to help us remain on course in our journey to God.  C.S. Lewis, in “The Screwtape Letters”, reports that there are also demons whose purpose is draw us away from God and into Satan’s domain.

   So, do I have an angel on one shoulder and a demon on the other, each competing for my soul?  It certainly seems so at times.  Though I want to be deep in prayer or in the celebration of the Mass I find myself drawn away.  Whether or not it is a demon assigned to tempt me as in The Screwtape Letters I don’t know, but I can think of no other explanation than the evil one doing all in his power to take me from the Lord. 

The devil never rests.

He tempts day and night.

Strengthen me Lord.

Help me reject the evil Satan desires. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment