Sunday, September 19, 2021

 New Beginnings 

   “Late have I loved Thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new; late have I loved Thee.”  (St. Augustine, “Confessions”) 

   Life is full of new beginnings.  St. Augustine’s new beginning as a convert to Christianity is the source of the above quote.  We all experience new beginnings throughout life, some will lead us closer to God, others may lead us farther away.

   I recently spent a week at Our Lady of Clear Creek Benedictine Abbey in rural Oklahoma.  I have been discerning a call to the Benedictine way for quite some time and chose this Abbey as where I wanted to pursue that calling further.

   On Wednesday, September 8th, I became a Benedictine Oblate novice.  God willing, I will make my final Oblation promises a year from now.  I will not become a monk or live in a monastery, but I will do my best to live my life in accord with Benedictine spirituality; a life of prayer and contemplation, a life devoted to grower nearer to God.

   I find it fitting that this new beginning in my life occurred on the feast day celebrating the birth of our Blessed Mother.  As with all new beginnings I’m sure there will be challenges ahead.  I will place my trust and hope in my God and rely on His strength in all things. 

Lord, You bring changes to our lives.

You draw us nearer to Yourself.

Keep me on the path You have chosen.

Lead me always nearer to You. 

Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment