Friday, September 24, 2021

An Acceptable Offering 

   “In the course of time Cain brought an offering to the Lord from the fruit of the ground, while Abel, for his part, brought the fatty part of the firstlings of his flock.  The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor.” (Gen 4: 3 – 5) 

   There is no indication in scripture of why God looked favorably upon Abel’s sacrifice but not Cain’s.  Sadly, Cain grew so angry at his rejection that he took it out on his brother Abel and killed him.

   In my study and contemplation of the Rule of St. Benedict I think I may have discovered a possible reason for God’s rejection of Cain’s offering.  This is just speculation on my part, but it seems to be at least a plausible explanation.

   St. Benedict warns against grumbling and murmuring; that practice of quietly or even silently objecting to what is asked of one.  Even though we make an offering, if we don’t do it with a joyful, loving attitude, our sacrifice is not worthy of God.

   Cain brought his offering to God, but perhaps in his heart he was resentful that a sacrifice was asked of him.  An offering made to God without love may well be rejected.  God is not so much concerned with the offering as with the intent and love with which it is offered.

   The same applies to me today.  If I donate to the church but resent the giving, my donation is not acceptable.  If I work for the church but do so only to bring credit and recognition to myself, my work is not acceptable.  If I make my offering with hate for my brother in my heart, my offering is unacceptable. 

Lord, give me a clean heart.

One that makes a pure sacrifice to You.

May all my gifts be pleasing to You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment