Wednesday, September 29, 2021

 Praying for Change 

   “Prayer is successful when you pray not to change God or another person but to change yourself.” (Matthew Kelly, “A Call to Joy”) 

   When I pray I sometimes find myself more concerned with changing the actions and faults of others than with my own.  I fail to recognize that the only one I can truly change is me.

   “Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?” (Matt 7: 3).  It’s so easy to see the sins of others while ignoring my own.  The same prejudice is evident even in prayer at times.  It’s not up to me to change others, only myself.  While praying about someone else’s sins I am apt to overlook those of my own.

   My prayer should always be “let Your will be done”, not “do it my way”.  This doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t pray for others and any problems they may have in their lives, it simply means I should leave the resolution to God’s will, not mine.

   The same applies to me.  When facing difficulties or challenges in life I should not insist on my solution, which is perhaps flawed, but ask that His will be done to resolve the issue.

   Giving control to another, even God, can be difficult.  However, if I want what is best for me and others, I must submit my will to His, not try to impose my will upon Him. 

Lord, sometimes I think I know best.

I want to choose the path, for me and for others.

Only You know the right solution.

Help me submit myself to Your will in all things.

 

Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment