Wednesday, September 1, 2021

 The Choice Is Mine 

   “Ask the Lord for the strength to turn off the television and open the Bible, to turn off our cellphone and open the Gospel.” (Pope Francis) 

   I can spend all day watching the trash that is called entertainment on television.  I can use my time to read what passes for “good” reading these days though it is mostly lewdness and violence.  I can play games on my computer, tablet, or cellphone or visit websites that teach immorality, hatred, and bias. I can allow myself to become depressed by the events reported ad nauseum in the news, both on television and in print.  The choice is mine.

   I can also select only those things that are of value in the television I watch or the books I read.  The games I play can promote a better vocabulary or require thinking rather than just be mind-numbing.  I can be aware of the events of the world but not allow myself to become engrossed and discouraged by them.  Again, the choice is mine.

   What I’m trying to say is that it is my responsibility to use my time wisely; to use it to better know and serve my God.  Whatever else I do with my day, I must allow sufficient time for prayer and spiritual reading, time for scripture and time for contemplation.  In other words, I must ensure that I am giving the best I can to God.

   God will never force me to shut out those things that need to be shut out or to turn off the television and read scripture instead.  He will not block my internet access to keep me from visiting the wrong sites and using it for vile purposes.  But, if I ask, He will give me the strength to do these things of my own free will.

   It is my choice, a decision that I must make, God or the world.  I choose God. 

Father, there are so many temptations.

Satan is everywhere.

Give me the strength to reject the evil.

The strength to life my life for You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment