Tuesday, September 14, 2021

The Cross of Redemption 

   “Who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God something to be grasped.  Rather, he emptied himself, taking the form of a slave, coming in human likeness; and found human in appearance, he humbled himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross.” (Phil 2: 6 -8) 

   Had someone told the people of Jesus’ time that the cross would be the road to salvation they would have thought them crazy.  The cross was an instrument of state torture intended to be as brutal and agonizing as possible.  It was a visible warning of what disobedience to Rome could bring.

   Yet, our Lord chose to allow Himself to be nailed to a cross in order to pay the price for our sins.  What was once a symbol of state brutality became the symbol of a loving savior, willing to die for mankind to order to bring salvation to the world.

   When I look upon the crucifix and see Jesus hanging there it brings both great sorrow and great joy.  Sorrow for the fact that my sins and the sins of the world are what necessitated such a sacrifice, and joy for the salvation it has brought me.  Because of His great love, Jesus paid the debt that I could not pay to redeem me from my sins.

   Jesus said, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.” (Matt 16: 24).  There will be crosses to bear if I am to follow Jesus, some more difficult to carry than others.  Still, without the cross, there is no salvation. 

Lord, You took my sins upon Yourself.

On the cross You paid the debt I could not pay.

Your cross is the path to salvation.

Help me to carry my cross. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment