Sunday, September 12, 2021

 Good and Evil 

   “Jesus cried out in a loud voice, ‘Father, into your hands I commend my spirit’; and when he had said this he breathed his last.” (Luke 23: 46) 

   The crucifixion of our Lord was, without doubt the most evil act ever committed.  Yet, from this horrendous act the most glorious good was achieved; death was overcome and the door to heaven was opened to those who would believe.

   Can any good come from evil.  Obviously so if we believe in scripture.  Can we commit an evil to achieve a good end?  Of course not!  And yet, even our sin can result in good.  Sound confusing?  It is.

   I had a conversation with a priest recently about venial sin; those sins which draw us away from God but of themselves do not break our relationship with Him.  I expressed to Him that though I hate even my venial sins they call me to Christ to express my sorrow and seek forgiveness.  It seems to me that, though sin is never a good thing, the fact that they bring me to Jesus to confess and repent of them is a good drawn from their evil.

   Somewhat surprising to me, the priest agreed.  Sin cannot be avoided in this life.  We are all sinners and never a day passes without our failure in some way.  But the more we become aware of our sins, the more we want to come to the Lord for mercy and forgiveness.  And the more we come to Him the more we know His great love for us.

   I’m still confused and suppose I will be until this life is over.  I wish I could never sin again and yet that is impossible.  If I am to sin, which is unavoidable, I’m blessed in the fact that my sins draw me to my Lord seeking His forgiveness and His strength in my efforts to avoid sin.  Perhaps in the next life the confusion will be no more. 

Lord, my sins are many.

But Your mercy is endless.

Forgive me my failings.

Bring me always nearer to You. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment