Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Birthdays 

   I recently had a birthday, one of many that I've had.  Without being specific let's just say that I'm far beyond being "a spring chicken."

   Satchel Paige, the great baseball pitcher once said, “Age is a question of mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”  I think that is the attitude we need to take with birthdays.  I’ve known people who celebrate, those who mourn, and those who are somewhat indifferent about their birthdays.  I guess I fall into the last category, it really is just another day.

   But birthdays are also a reminder.  They remind me of where I’ve been and what I’ve done, both the good and the bad.  They are also an opportunity to review my present life and my relationship to my Lord.  Are there things I could do better?  Are there areas of my life that need improvement with respect to serving God?  Am I doing the best I can to live according to His will?

   Birthdays come and go, but at my age I am aware that most of my life is in the past.  St. Paul said, “I have competed well; I have finished the race.  I have kept the faith.” (2 Tim 4: 7).  My prayer is that when this life is done, I can say the same. 

Father, I am a mortal man.

This life is not forever.

May the life I live be pleasing to You.

May it bring me to eternal life. 

Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment