Tuesday, September 21, 2021

 Life in the Fog 

   “For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face.” (1 Cor 13: 12) 

   When I went for my daily walk this morning it was quite foggy.  Though there was a full moon, even its’ light was greatly dimmed by the fog.  It reminded me of St. Paul’s description of how we see things in this world.  Our vision is dimmed, as in a fog, by the corruption and sinfulness of society.

   As I walked on, I noticed someone about a block away coming toward me.  Normally I would have seen them clearly and probably recognized them as one of the people I often see on my walks.  But this morning I was no more than ten or twelve feet from them before I recognized them and the dog they walk with.

   I was reminded that sometimes it can be difficult to recognize those in my life who bring me closer to God; those with whom I share a faith in and love of our Lord.  In the fog of evil and sin that permeates society it’s important to be cautious.  Some who may seem to be a friend in faith could instead be a tempter sent by Satan to draw me away from God.

   This world is a scary place.  It’s not always easy to recognize those who mean me well and to be aware of those who would do me spiritual harm.  My vision will remain foggy and sometimes unsure in this life.  However, I am confident that God will guide me.  If I place my faith and trust in Him, He will keep me on course. 

How I wish I saw clearly.

But my vision is dimmed by sin.

Guide me Lord, on Your path.

Let me not be led astray. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment