Tuesday, June 28, 2022

 A Contrite Heart 

   “My sacrifice, O God is a contrite spirit; a contrite, humbled heart, O God, you will not scorn.” (Psalm 51: 19) 

   Psalm 51 is often called the sinners prayer.  It is the admission of guilt and pleading for cleansing and the forgiveness of sins.  In my opinion, the verse quoted above is the key to the whole psalm.  Without humility our sacrifice is unacceptable to God.  Without contrition there can be no forgiveness.

   In Genesis we read that Cain’s offering to God was spurned, while Abel’s was looked upon with favor by God.  This led to the first murder; Cain killed his brother Abel (see Genesis 4).  God doesn’t play favorites, He loves us all, so why was Cain's offering rejected?  Perhaps his heart was not humble and contrite.

   An offering to God is a good thing, but it must be offered properly.  It doesn’t matter if I give all I have to God if I do so to gain the recognition of others.  Looking around many churches I have seen stained glass windows, art, and statues with tags naming  those who made the donation.  They received earthly praise and recognition for their offering, they have gotten their reward.

   I can give all I have to God but if I do so while inwardly complaining my sacrifice is of no use.  I can’t give with my hands but regret in my heart what I have given.  If my gift is not from the heart, in recognition that all I have is from God, it will be unacceptable.

   There is nothing that God needs for He created all that exists.  We are called to make offering to God as a means of thanking Him for all He has given us.  But the first thing that must be offered is a humble, contrite heart.  Otherwise, our gifts, like Cain’s, may be spurned.

No comments:

Post a Comment