Sunday, June 5, 2022

 Encouragement 

   “And this is the verdict, that the light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light, because their works were evil.” (John 3: 19) 

   The early Christians lived almost as a separate community, apart from the rest of society.  Because of severe persecution, they worshipped together and, in some cases, lived in Christian communities separate from the Jewish communities and the Romans, both of whom wished to destroy the new “way” as it was called.

   In today’s society Christians and all they stand for are more and more under attack and the attacks are becoming bolder and more public.  The government seems more intent on corrupting our morals than in protecting our religious freedom.  More and more laws are being enacted to make the faithful deny their faith in public or at least keep quiet about it.  Christians are ridiculed, demeaned, and often despised by the majority of society.

   I am blessed to have friends who are faithful and enjoy sharing that faith with others.  I draw great strength from them.  It’s good to associate with those whose faith is strong, who strive to live by the will of God and want to share that strength with others.

   The parish I attend is also a great source of strength.  The priests are true shepherds of their flock, guiding us on the right path even though there are those who are offended by their frankness.  Sadly, I find that some priests and pastors seem more concerned with the collection plate than with tending the flock.

   The forthrightness and candor of my priests strengthens my faith and encourages me to live according to the word of God.  The fellowship and support of my friends in faith give me strength and comfort.  Without such encouragement I would be lost.

 

   “Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing.” (1 Thess 5: 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment