Sunday, June 26, 2022

 Living Example 

   “Hyperichius said, ‘He who teaches others by his life and not his speech is truly wise.”  (“The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks.”) 

   If I want to teach others of my faith and what it means to me I am much better to do so by the way I live my life than by words.  Words far too often end up being angry and argumentative, particularly when it comes to religion.  But living a life of Christian love is hard to be misinterpreted.

   In an age where God is being pushed further and further from society, evangelization becomes more important than ever.  As Christians we are called to evangelize, to spread the word of God.  But words alone can’t be the solution; we must live our faith as an example to others.

   I cannot convert someone with my words, I’m not a theologian or apologist.  I can hopefully explain my faith and why I believe as I do but that alone will most likely not be enough to turn someone’s heart to God, especially if they don’t even believe that God exists.  My actions, rather than words, may be far more effective.

   If my goal is to love others as God loves me I must see Christ in them and strive to help them recognize Him within themselves.  Words alone are unlikely to accomplish that goal.  However, if my life reflects my faith and I approach everyone with the love of Christ in my heart it might cause others to see the inner peace God has given me and encourage them to search for the same.

   I don’t claim to be the perfect example, I am only a sinful man.  But I pray that others might see what joy Christ has given me and seek to find that joy for themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment