Wednesday, June 1, 2022

 Start Today 

   “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” (C.S. Lewis) 

   I wish I could go back and redo parts of my life.  My past sinfulness and disregard of God bother me greatly.  But I cannot go back in time, I can only move forward.  As I move forward I try to resist Satan and his temptations, to follow the will of God.  Of course, I fail at times, but I believe my efforts are pleasing to God.

   In one sense it is good that I am conscious of and regret the evil I have done in my life.  By remembering, I am cautioned against repeating those mistakes.  But, on the other hand, there is the danger of becoming so concerned with past sins that I dwell on them rather than praise God for His forgiveness, even though I am unworthy. I see this as a tool of Satan intended to convince me that I can never be saved; my sins have made me an abomination before God.

   I am certainly unworthy of God’s love, my sins insult and offend Him.  But that doesn’t change the fact that He loves me and forgives me.  It’s important that I strike a balance between regret for past sins and acknowledging that God has forgiven them.  If I can’t forgive myself even though God has forgiven me, how can I forgive others?

   The past is done.  Past sins may not be forgotten, but they are forgiven.  The future lies ahead, and I have no way of knowing what it may bring.  I can’t live my life in the past, I can’t change the beginning.  But I can start anew and change the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment