Wednesday, June 29, 2022

 Calming the Seas 

   “A windstorm arose on the sea, so great that the boat was being swamped by the waves, but he was asleep.  And they went and woke him up, saying, ‘Lord, save us!  We are perishing!’  And he said to them, ‘Why are you afraid, you of little faith?’  Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a dead calm.”  (Matt 8: 24 – 27). 

   The gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke all recount the calming of the seas.  This miracle was obviously important enough that each of them felt it necessary to include it in their writings.  But I think there is much more to this event than the physical act of calming the seas in order to save the boat.  Surely, our Lord would not have allowed Himself and His apostles to perish in a storm at sea before He had completed the purpose for which He came.

   There is a spiritual lesson to be learned from the calming of the seas.  There have been times in my life when something has occurred that threw my life into confusion; periods when violent winds and seas threatened to overwhelm me, making me question the purpose to my life.

   When my wife passed away I could see no way to move forward; I felt there was nothing left for me.  I was lost in a stormy sea of despair, doubts, and fears, seeing no way to go on in life.

   Jesus calmed the seas of my mind and my heart just as He calmed the seas for the apostles.  There was not an immediate calming of my soul such as the seas in the gospel account, but with His help I began a healing process .  Over the next weeks and months my Lord continued to calm the seas of my grief.  I fear to think where I would be today without the help, love, and mercy of my Lord.

   I know that I will never completely get over her loss and I still face the storms in my mind from time to time.  But He is with me, to rebuke the winds and bring calm to the seas of my heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment