Friday, June 24, 2022

 Abiding in God 

   “Lord, who may abide in your holy tent?  Who may dwell on your holy mountain?” (Psalm 15: 1) 

   In my mind there is no more important question than that the psalmist asks in Psalm 15.  If I am to spend eternity in God’s kingdom it is vital that I understand what I must do to be granted the right to abide on His holy mountain.

   The rest of the psalm gives me plenty to think about and to meditate upon.  I am to walk without blame, doing what is right, speaking truth from the heart.  But I know that I don’t always do these things, so am I not to know the joys of heaven?

   I am not to slander another, harm a friend, or defame a neighbor.  In other words, I am to love my neighbor as myself.  But I am to love my neighbor as they should be loved, as a child of God.  If I truly love them I must want only good for them.  This kind of love may include encouraging them to turn from evil ways; if I love them I must want to help them avoid condemnation for their sins.  To do less is to love them less.

   To read psalm 15 is to gain some insight into the kind of man I must be if I am to enter the kingdom of God.  There are things I must do and things I must not do if I am to serve the Lord.  But I must always understand that I am imperfect in so many ways, so I must rely upon the Lord’s mercy and forgiveness when, in my weakness, I again prove myself unworthy of heaven.  In His love and mercy, He will heal me and forgive me.   On this truth I rest my hopes of eternal life in His kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment